Rev. Henry John Todd, M.A.: "Life of Archbishop Cranmer:" Ch. 3: 1532-15...


CHAPTER III. 1532 to 1533, 47-73. Dr. Cranmer is recalled from Germany. How early did he know this was going down? Todd hints that he had some intel-reports. Some think Boleyn was speaking favorably of Cranmer’s service in Germany. He’s malleable, pliable, scholarly and he supports the King’s cause. Warham dies on 23 (not 22) Aug 1532 claims Todd. He is nominated Archbishop of Canterbury, but do we have an actual date for this? Some Papists claimed it was a simple “quid pro quo.” Give me the ABC and I will fix this matrimonial question. Todd wisely notes the list was long for other Bishops, Gardiner included, he would have filled the bill. He wished to decline the appointment. Others objected that he had no episcopal assignment on the resume, but there were other precedents for this—Parker, Sancroft, Tillotson. Reasons for declining it. His second marriage may have been an issue for Cranmer. Todd affirms that Henry knew of the marriage. Cranmer knows his marriage will run against the popular tide in England, not merely as a priest but as an Archbishop. It, in fact, becomes a Papist body-jab and body-blow at his Oxford trial in 1555. While Cranmer dilly-dallies on the Continent, he finally submits to nomination and election of the primacy, but not without interposing his protest against the papal authority and is consecrated. The Papist bull of consecration is dated 22 Feb 1532/33. He was consecrated 30 Mar 1533 by Lincoln, Exeter and St. Asaph. His protest or caveats to the oath become contested later by the Papists. He’s Dr. Cranmer’s protest: “In the name of God, Amen. I Thomas, archbishop of Canterbury elect, do before you, persons of authority and credible witnesses, here present, say, allege, and, by this present instrument in writing, openly, publicly, and expressly protest, that whereas before my consecration, or  at the time thereof I am obliged to take the oath or oaths, usually taken by the archbishops of Canterbury elect to the pope, for form sake, rather than for any essentiality or obligation there is in the thing, in order to my obtaining the same : It neither is, nor shall be, my will or intention to oblige myself by the said oath, or oaths, howsoever the same may seem to be worded, to any thing hereafter to be said, done, or attempted, by reason thereof, which shall be, or seem to be, contrary to the law of God, or contrary to our most illustrious king of England, or the commonwealth of this his kingdom of England, or to the laws or prerogatives of the same : And that I do not intend to oblige myself by the said oath, or oaths, in any manner whatsoever, so as to disable myself freely to speak, consult, and consent, in all and singular the matters, and things, any way concerning the reformation of Christian religion, the government of the Church of England, or the prerogatives of the crown thereof, or the good of the commonwealth; and everywhere to execute and reform those things, which I shall think Jit to be reformed in the Church of England. And I do protest and profess, that I will take the said oath, or oaths, according to this interpretation and this sense, and none other, nor in any other manner. And I do further protest, that whatsoever the oath may be, which my proctor hath already taken to the pope in my name, it was not my intention or will to give him any power by virtue whereof he might take any oath in my name contrary to or inconsistent with the oath by me already taken, or hereafter to be taken, to om: said illustrious king of England: And, in case he hath taken any such contrary or inconsistent oath in my name, I do protest, that the same being taken without my knowledge, and without my authority, shall be null and invalid. And these my protestations I mil have to be repeated, and reiterated, in all the clauses and sentences of the said oaths: From which [[protestations]] I do not intend, in any manner whatsoever, by deed or word, to recede nor will recede, but will always hold the same to be firm and binding to me” (90-91). The protest was given in the chapterhouse of St. Stephen, Westminster, at the altar when consecrated and after the consecration, receiving the pall. Papists and others impugn Dr. Cranmer here—Sanders, Pole, Phillips, Dr. Lingard, Mr. Butler and Milner, among others. The Harpsfields?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 1229 A.D. Council of Toulouse--"We prohibit laymen possessing copies of the Old and New Testament

11 April 1803 A.D. France Offers to Sell Louisiana Territory to the US for $11.250 Million—Napoleon: “The sale assures forever the power of the United States…”

8 May 1559 A.D. Act of Uniformity Passed—Elizabeth 1