April 1093-1133 A.D. Durham Cathedral, Durham, UK—Contains Remains of Cuthbert & Venerable Bede; 261Miles NW of London, About 1100 as the Crow Flies
April 1093-1133 A.D. Durham Cathedral,
Durham, UK—Contains Remains of Cuthbert & Venerable Bede; 261Miles NW of
London, About 1100 as the Crow Flies
Editors. “Durham Cathedral.” Sacred
Destinations. N.d. http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/durham-cathedral. Accessed 29 Dec 2014.
Durham Cathedral,
in the city of Durham in northeast England, was founded in 1093 and
remains a center for Christian worship today. The present building dates almost
entirely from the 12th century and is widely regarded as the finest example of
Norman architecture in Europe.
Along with the nearby Durham Castle, Durham Cathedral has been
designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is notable not only for its
pleasing Norman architecture, but also its sacred shrine of St. Cuthbert of Lindisfarne and tomb
of the Venerable Bede. Visitors can climb 325 steps to the top of the tower to
enjoy a fine view of Durham and the surrounding area.
History of Durham Cathedral
For 240 years, there was a thriving monastery
on Lindisfarne (Holy Island), where St.
Cuthbert was monk, bishop and inspirational leader. He died in 687.
In 875, the monks of Lindisfarne fled the
island due to Viking raiders, but they made sure to bring with them their most
precious treasures, including St. Cuthbert's miraculously preserved body and
the illuminated Lindisfarne Gospels. In 995, the Lindisfarne monks found a
safe, easily defended position above the River Wear, in modern Durham.
The foundation stone of Durham Cathedral was
laid on August 12, 1093. The cathedral is the third church to be built on the
site. The choir, transepts and nave (forming the main cross-shape of the
cathedral) were built between 1093 and 1133. They still survive in their
original Norman (Romanesque) form. Four major additions came later:
From 1093 to 1540, the cathedral was not only
the seat of the Bishop but the church of the Benedictine monastery of Durham. Around 1560,
after the Reformation and
Dissolution of the Monasteries, the walls of the cathedral were whitewashed,
the shrine of Cuthbert destroyed, and the stained glass windows broken.
The bishops of Durham were very powerful Prince-Bishops from the Middle Ages to
the mid-19th century, reaching the peak of their power in the 14th century. They
lived in Durham Castle near the cathedral. The seat of Bishop of Durham is
still the fourth highest in the Church of England hierarchy, and signposts for
the modern-day County Durham are still subtitled "Land of the Prince
Bishops."
What to See at Durham Cathedral
The main entry to Durham Cathedral is through
the north door, which bears a great bronze sanctuary knocker, used in medieval times for those seeking
sanctuary in the church. The knocker would wake the two watchmen who slept in a
room above the door. The one on the door is a replica; the original is in the
cathedral treasury.
The cathedral's nave is dominated by impressive, massive carved pillars. They have
stood for almost 900 years and are 6.6 meters around and 6.6 meters high. Every
other one is carved with geometric designs.
Durham was the first cathedral in Europe to be
fitted with stone rib vaulting
and it has the earliest pointed transverse arches in England. Until the late
1800s there were no seats in the nave. The long, narrow slab of Frosterly stone
set in the floor marks the point behind which women had to remain until the
mid-16th century.
The stained
glass windows of the nave are mainly Victorian. The stone tracery of the
great West Window (or Jesse Window) is from c. 1350, but the glass is from
1850. Look for the brightly-colored window near the entrance door: known as the
Daily Bread Window, this abstract depiction of the Last Supper was given by the
staff of Durham's Marks and Spencer in 1984 to mark the company's centenary.
The Rose Window, at the far east end, was remodelled in the late 18th century.
The large Galilee Chapel (built 1170-1175), located in the west end, is one
of the most beautiful parts of the cathedral. Wall paintings on the northern
side are 12th century and probably depict St. Cuthbert and St. Oswald. The
chapel also contains the tomb of the Venerable Bede, the 8th century monk and
the first English church historian. His major work is the Ecclesiastical
History of the English People.
The Quire
(Choir) is the site of daily services, including the lovely Evensong. The
stalls of finely carved wood date from the 1660s, replacing original medieval
ones.
The Bishop's
throne dates from the mid-14th century. The Bishop of Durham uses this
lofty seat the first time he comes to the cathedral, but thereafter he sits
near the chancel screen. When it was built, the throne was claimed as the
highest in Christendom.
Below the throne is the Hatfield Chantry, a chapel containing the tomb of Thomas Hatfield,
Bishop of Durham (1345-81) and founder of Trinity College, Oxford. The figure on his tomb was the only one to
survive the destruction of the Reformation.
The high
altar, the focal point of the cathedral, is separated from St.
Cuthbert's shrine by the stone Neville
Screen, a gift from the influential Neville family. Carved from Caen
stone between 1372 and 1380 in London, it was assembled on site.
The Shrine
of St. Cuthbert, behind the high altar, was a major pilgrimage center in
the Middle Ages and remains a sacred site today. Cuthbert, a monk and bishop of
Lindisfarne who died in 687, is the most
popular saint in the North of England. A sign posted in the chapel describes
the richness of the shrine in medieval times:
The Chapel
of Nine Altars was built between 1242 and 1280. It was based on a
similar arrangement at Fountains Abbey and originally had nine
altars so that the many priests of the monastery could say Mass each day. The
extra space also helped the movement of crowds visiting the Shrine of St.
Cuthbert.
In the south transept, don't miss Prior Castell's Clock. The clock was
provided by Thomas Castell, Prior of the Monastery 1494-1519. Renovated by Dean
Hunt in 1620-38, it was the only wooden furnishing in the cathedral to survive
the Civil War and the Scottish prisoners held in the cathedral. (The Scots are
thought to have spared it because it features a thistle in its decoration.) It
was restored in 1938. The face is unusual in having 48 minute markings, as it
originally had only one hand.
The cloisters
were heavily rebuilt in 1828, but the west door to the cloisters features 12th
century ironwork.
The Treasury
Museum is worth a visit, but not terribly large or impressive. It
displays the relics of St. Cuthbert, a collection of illuminated manuscripts,
and other artifacts. The admission price includes a nice booklet describing the
collections.
Tip for photographers: For a good view of the
outside of the cathedral and castle, walk on the outer bank of the River Wear
around the bend between Elvet and Framwelgate bridges, or rent a boat at Elvet
Bridge. The viewpoint is marked on some maps. There are also one-hour cruises
along the river from June to September.
Quick Facts on Durham Cathedral
|
Site Information
|
|
|
Names:
|
Cathedral Church
of Christ and St. Mary the Virgin · Durham Cathedral
|
|
Country:
|
|
|
Categories:
|
|
|
Faiths:
|
|
|
Styles:
|
|
|
Dates:
|
1093-1133
|
|
Status:
|
active
|

Comments
Post a Comment