10 April 1865 A.D. APPOMATTOX, VA: GEN Lee Issues His Last Order to His Army, Gen Order #90


 
10 April 1865 A.D. APPOMATTOX, VA: GEN Lee’s Last Order to His Army, Gen Order #90


1865At Appomattox Court, Va, General Robert E. Lee issued Gen Order #9, his last orders to the Army of Northern Virginia. Seneca Indian Ely Parker was at his general’s side at Appomattox. “After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources. I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard-fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to the result from no distrust of them…I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen…I bid you an affectionate farewell.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 1948-1972 A.D. Athenagoras I—Constantinople’s 267th; Metropolitan of Corfu; Established Diocese in North America

February 1229 A.D. Council of Toulouse--"We prohibit laymen possessing copies of the Old and New Testament

September 1209-1229 A.D. Remembering the Albigensian Crusade; Papal Indulgences & Passes Offered for In-life & Afterlife