Henry John Todd, M.A.: "The Life of Archbishop Cranmer," Ch. 5,115ff.


1535. DR. CRANMER'S PREACHING IN KENT AND CANTERBURY. DR. CRANMERS PUTS A SMACK-DOWN ON A CANTERBURY PRIOR. BAM! You can be sure the back-channellers were chattering through the monastic networks. Dr. Cranmer continues his written report to Henry about his own preaching in Kent in favor of the Act of Supremacy. One incidental arises, namely, that Dr. Cranmer had prayed daily for years that the Pope’s power and doctrines would be broken in England. What is not discussed, however, is the content of that prayer—jurisdictional, doctrinal, or quasi-Lutheranizing? His letter does not give details other than the fact of his prayer that the Pope’s rule would be abolished in England. “And he [DPV, the smacked-down Prior] said also openly, that I [DPV, Dr. Cranmer] preached uncharitably when I said that, these many years, I had daily prayed unto God that I might see the power of Rome destroyed, and that I thanked God that I had now seen it in this realm. And yet in my sermon I declared the cause where- fore I so prayed. For I said, that I perceived the see of Rome work so many things contrary to God’s honour, and the wealth of this realm; and I saw no hope of amendment, so long as that see reigned over us; and for this cause only I had prayed unto God continually, that we might be separated from that see; and for no private malice or displeasure that I had either to the bishop or see of Rome. But this seemed an uncharitable prayer to the Prior, that the power of Rome should be destroyed. And as for the third part, where I preached against the laws of the bishop of Rome, that they ought not to be taken as God's Laws, nor to be esteemed so highly as he would have them; the Prior, craftily leaving out the name of the bishop of Rome, preached, that the laws of the Church be equal with God*s Laws. These things he preached, as it is proved both by sufficient witness, and also by his own confession. I leave the judgment hereof unto your Grace [DPV, King Henry], and to your Council, whether this were a defense of the bishop of Rome or not. And I only, according to my bounden duty, have reported the truth of the fact” (115-116). His own preaching, notably, some 2-hour sermons detailing these things were given including at Canterbury. Meanwhile, the Canterbury Prior chokes like a dog and preaches against Cranmer that he could find no evil with the Pope’s laws and behaviors nor any errors of the Romish Church. Cranmer is primed for that discussion by his earlier scholarly inquiries. The Prior claims innocence at first (lying) but gets some butt-hurt when Cranmer investigates. Dr. Cranmer writes to the King, seeking an independent commission since he is a party to the dispute, advising that this Prior is setting a bad precedent for the nation. Furthermore, if uncorrected, Cranmer argues that his own authority in preaching will be rebutted. Realpolitic and playing to Henry’s fears of non-compliance is in play. Cranmer is no naive counselor. Dr. Cranmer is protecting his perimeter of provincial authority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 1229 A.D. Council of Toulouse--"We prohibit laymen possessing copies of the Old and New Testament

11 April 1803 A.D. France Offers to Sell Louisiana Territory to the US for $11.250 Million—Napoleon: “The sale assures forever the power of the United States…”

8 May 1559 A.D. Act of Uniformity Passed—Elizabeth 1