May 1152 A.D. Blackmore Priory, Essex, UK—Founded by Jordan de Samford & Augustinian Canons Regular; Dissolved 1525 for Cardinal Wolsey’s College at Oxford
May 1152 A.D. Blackmore Priory, Essex, UK—Founded by Jordan de Samford &
Augustinian Canons Regular; Dissolved 1525 for Cardinal Wolsey’s College at
Oxford; Granted to John Smith, 1540; Priory Church in Parochial Use as “Church
of St. Laurence”
Blackmore Priory
From Wikipedia, the
free encyclopedia
Blackmore Priory was a priory in Essex, England. It was established as an Augustinian Priory with a Prior and twelve Canons, who were not monks but ordained priests. They would be
expected to work in the parish as well as lead a monastic life in the Priory.
The buildings were begun in the second half of the 12th century. Some of the
original architecture can still be seen in what is now the Parish Church,
notably the door between the [later] bell tower and the nave, which was once
the main entrance. The Priory’s heyday was around the end of the fourteenth
century when a single roof was placed over the nave and aisles. The timber bell
tower dates from 1400. Henry VIII was a frequent visitor to Jericho House, so must have known the Priory
well. But in the 1520s, Henry, with Cardinal Wolsey, was responsible for the demise of the monastery, which eventually passed
into secular hands and was largely demolished.
Blackmore Priory church


Comments
Post a Comment