March 1220-1226 A.D. Breadsall Prior, Breadsall, Derbyshire, UK—Founded by Augustinian Canons Regular; Priory Church Called “Holy Trinity,” Dissolved 1536
March 1220-1226 A.D. Breadsall Prior, Breadsall, Derbyshire,
UK—Founded by Augustinian Canons Regular;
Priory Church Called “Holy Trinity,” Dissolved 1536; Granted to Henry, Duke of Suffolk, 13th
Century Arch Retained in Elizabethan Mansion Built on Site; Became Hotel/Golf Club “Marriott Breadsall
Priory Hotel,” 1980; 130 NW of London, 2200 as the Crow Flies; Due South of
Sheffield
No
author. “Breadsall Priory.” Images of England. N.d. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?pid=1&id=352212. Accessed 12 Dec 2014.
PARISH OF
BREADSALLMOOR
ROADSK 34 SE1/6(West side)2.9.52 Breadsall PrioryGVII
PARISH OF BREADSALL
MOOR ROAD SK 34 SE 1/6 (West side) 2.9.52 Breadsall Priory GV II Country house,
now hotel, golf and country club. Built on the site of a C13 Augustinian priory
of which a fragment survives. Elizabethan E-plan house facing east, greatly
enlarged and remodelled c1861 by Robert Scrivener and with a west wing of 1906,
both in Elizabethan style. Gritstone ashlar. Plain tile roofs with stone coped
gables with plain kneelers. Various ashlar ridge and gable stacks. Two and
three storeys. South elevation of six irregular bays. From left to right: single
light recessed and chamfered mullion window to each floor. Projecting gabled
bay with a projecting full height square bay window. This has two cross windows
to the ground floor, a pair of 3-light windows above with two transoms, and a
pair of 3-light windows above again with a transom. Moulded stringcourses. In
the gable above, a 2-light window. To the right is a two bay open arcade with
segmental arches and within are two round-arched windows with glazing bars.
Canted oriel above of 1-3-2 lights with two transoms. Plain parapet. 4-light
mullioned and transomed window above again. Moulded stringcourses. To the right
a single light window to the first and second floor. Here the 1899 wing joins
the earlier house. Gabled bay has a two-storey C19 canted bay with 2-4-2 light
mullioned windows, the upper ones trefoiled with quatrefoils above. Castellated
parapet. 4-light mullioned and transomed window above with trefoiled lights.
Corbelled-out stair turret to right of this. C16 3-light mullioned and
transomed window above again. Projecting square tower to right has an ogee
doorway with crockets and fleurons, and colonnettes with stiff-leaf capitals.
3-light mullioned and transomed window above with trefoiled lights.
Intermediate 2-light window above and a 3-light, C16, mullioned and transomed
window above again. Castellated parapet andcorbelled out polygonal angle
turrets. East elevation of six irregular bays. The tower to the left has three
3-light mullioned and transomed windows. The upper two are C16. Then three gabled
bays, the third cut by a projecting wing. The fenestration is of c1861,
consisting of 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with hoodmoulds,
and some with trefoiled heads. Projecting C15 style porch with polygonal angle
turrets and parapet with lozenge frieze. Projecting wing to right has a
castellated canted bay window of 1-4-1 lights, two cross windows above, and a
castellated parapet with corbelled-out polygonal turrets. Irregular north
elevation has C16 3-light mullioned and transomed windows in the gables and
remains of several other C16 windows below, brocken into by later windows.
Castellated wall attached to south west, with two gothic doorways, the latter
flanked by re-set carved pilasters. The interior has the remains of one C13 doorway
with roll moulding. The entrance hall is of c1861 with a two bay Perp style
arcade and two other similar archways. Staircase has twisted balusters. The
drawing room has a C19 gothic chimneypiece and Adam style doorcases. The
library and the billiard room are of 1906 with lavish C17 style carved oak
woodwork and plaster ceiling. The billiard room has a fireplace bay with a
gallery above. Off the entrance hall a large gothic door with elaborate wrought
iron work, made by Mr Haslam for the 1851 exhibition. Dining room has Elizabeth
style carving and plaster work. History: the Augustinian priory was founded in
the C13 and suppressed in 1536. It was granted to Henry, Duke of Suffolk, in
1552 and sold in the same year to Thomas Babington. In 1799 it became the
property of Erasmus Darwin who died here in 1802.
Comments
Post a Comment