8/18/20: Morning Prayer (BCP)--Psalms 90-92; Jeremiah 26; Romans 15.7-32


Baslius, in his short definitions (Regulae Breviores), the first question: “Whether it be lawful or expedient for a man to permit himself to do what he thinketh good, without the testimony
of the' holy scriptures."

His answer": “ Seeing that our Saviour saith of the Holy Ghost, He shall not speak" of himself, but whatsoever he hath heard, that shall he speak:’ and of himself he saith, ‘ The Son can do nothing of himself:’ and again, ‘ I have not spoken of myself, but he which sent me gave me commandment what I should say, and what I should speak; and I know that his commandment is eternal life: therefore those things that I speak, I speak as the Father said unto me : who is he then that will run into such madness, that he dare once think only anything of himself, seeing that he hath need of the Holy Ghost for his aid, so that ,both in mind, word, and work, he may be guided in the way of truth, and that he must needs walk in darkness, except he he lightened With the Sun of ‘Righteousness, our Lord Jesus Christ, which shineth upon us with his Commandments, as with bright beams ? For ‘ the commandment of the Lord is clear, and giveth light to the eyes.’ For of those things that are done, and commonly used among us," some are by God’s commandment determined, and plainly set forth" in the holy scriptures, and some not expressed. Of those that be expressed by the scriptures, there is utterly no power given to any man (whatsoever he be in the whole world) either to do anything of those that be forbidden, or else to leave undone anything of them that be commanded: seeing that the Lord hath once commanded and said, ‘ Whatsoever I command you, that take heed ye do, &c.’ But of those things that are not’ expressed, the apostle Paul hath given us a rule, saying: `I may do all
things; but all things are not expedient. I may do all things; but all things edify not."

H/t to Dr. Thomas Cranmer (again). Sola Scriptura est regula fidei ad vitam et super vitam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 1229 A.D. Council of Toulouse--"We prohibit laymen possessing copies of the Old and New Testament

11 April 1803 A.D. France Offers to Sell Louisiana Territory to the US for $11.250 Million—Napoleon: “The sale assures forever the power of the United States…”

8 May 1559 A.D. Act of Uniformity Passed—Elizabeth 1