11 February 1555 A.D. Last Letter to Londoners Written by English Martyr, John Bradford, Murdered by Queen Mary 1 of England
11
February 1555 A.D. Last
Letter to Londoners Written by English Martyr, John Bradford, Murdered by Queen
Mary 1 of England
Letter
of John Bradford, Martyr of Christ, to the City of London, prior to his being
burned alive (Feb 11, 1555)
To all that profess the gospel and the
true doctrine of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, in the city of London. John
Bradford, a most unworthy servant of the Lord, now not only in prison, but also
excommunicated and condemned to be burned, for the same true doctrine, wishes
mercy, grace, and peace, with increase of all godly knowledge and piety, from
God the father of mercy, through the merits of our alone and all-sufficient
Redeemer Jesus Christ, by the operation of the Holy Spirit for ever. Amen.
My dearly beloved brethren
in our Saviour Christ. Although the time I have to live is very little, for I
look hourly when I shall be conveyed into Lancashire, there to be burned, and,
by the providence of God, to render my life where I first received it, by the
same providence. And although the charge is great to keep me from all things
whereby I might signify any thing to the world of my state; yet having, as now
I have, pen and ink, through God's working, notwithstanding the power of Satan
and his soldiers, I thought good to write a short confession of my faith, and
thereto join a little exhortation unto you all, to live according to your
profession.First, my faith. I do confess, and pray all the whole congregation of Christ to bear witness with me of the same, that I believe constantly, through the gift and goodness of God, for faith is only God's gift, all the twelve articles of the symbol or creed, commonly attributed to the apostles. This my faith I would gladly particularly declare and expound, to confirm and comfort the simple. But, alas! by starts and stealth I write in the manner that I write, and therefore I shall desire you all to take this brevity in good part. And this faith I hold, not because of the creed itself, but because of the word of God, which teaches and confirms every article accordingly. This word of God, written by the prophets and apostles, and contained in the canonical books of the holy Bible, I do believe to contain plentifully all things necessary to salvation, so that nothing, as necessary to salvation, ought to be added thereto. And therefore neither the Church of Christ, nor any of his congregations, ought to be burdened with any other doctrine, that that which here-out has its foundation and ground. In testimony of this faith, I render and give my life, being condemned, as well for not acknowledging the antichrist of Rome to be Christ's vice-general and supreme head of the catholic and universal church, here or elsewhere upon earth. As for denying the horrible and idolatrous doctrine of transubstantiation, and Christ's real, corporeal, and carnal presence in his supper, under the forms and accidents, (or appearance,) of bread and wine.
To believe that Christ our Saviour is the head of his Church, and that kings in their realms are the supreme powers, to whom every soul owes obedience. And to believe that in the supper of Christ is a true and very presence of whole Christ, God and man, to the faith of the receiver, but not to the stander by and looker upon, even as it is a true and very presence of bread and wine to the senses of men; to believe this, I say, will not serve. And therefore as a heretic I am condemned, and shall be burned. Whereof I ask God heartily for mercy that I do no more rejoice than I do, having so great cause, as to be an instrument wherein it may please my dear Lord God and Saviour to suffer.
For albeit my manifold sins, even since I came into prison, have deserved at the hands of God, not only temporal fire, but also eternal fire in hell, much more my former sinful life, which the Lord pardon for Christ's sake, as I know he of his mercy has done, and that he never will lay my iniquities to my charge, to condemnation. So great is his goodness, praised therefore be his holy name! Although, I say, my manifold and grievous late sins have deserved most justly all that man or devil can do unto me. And therefore I confess that the Lord is just, and that his judgements are true and deserved on my behalf. Yet, the bishops and prelates do not persecute them in me, but Christ himself, his word, his truth, and religion. And therefore I have great cause, yea, most great cause, to rejoice that ever I was born, and hitherto kept of the Lord. That by my death, which is deserved for my sins, it pleases the heavenly Father to glorify his name, to testify his truth, to confirm his verity, to oppugn his adversities. O good God and merciful Father! Forgive my great unthankfulness, especially herein.
And you, my dearly beloved, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, I humbly and heartily in his bowels and blood do now, for my last farewell in this present life, beseech you and every one of you, that you will consider this work of the Lord accordingly. First by me be admonished to beware of hypocrisy and carnal security. Profess not the gospel with tongue and lips only, but in heart and verity. Frame and fashion your lives accordingly. Beware that God's name be not evil spoken of, and the gospel still less regarded by your conversation. God forgive me, that I have not so heartily professed it as I should have done, but have sought myself much therein. The gospel is a new doctrine to the old man. It is new wine. And therefore it cannot be put in old bottles, without more hurt than good to the bottles. If we will talk with the Lord, we must put off our shoes and carnal affections. If we will hear the voice of the Lord, we must wash our garments and be holy. If we will be Christ's disciples, we must deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Christ. We cannot serve two masters. If we will seek Christ's kingdom, we must seek for the righteousness thereof. To the petition, Let thy kingdom come, we must join, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. If we will not be doers of the word, but hearers of it only, we sorely deceive ourselves. If we hear the gospel, and love it not, we declare ourselves to be but fools, and builders upon the sand. The Lord's spirit hates feigning. Deceitfulness the Lord abhors. If we come to him we must beware that we come not with a double heart. For them may chance that God will answer us according to the block which is in our heart, and so we shall deceive ourselves and others.
See that we couple a good conscience to faith, lest we make a shipwreck. To the Lord we must come with fear and reverence. If we will be gospellers, we must be Christ's. If we be Christ's, we must crucify our flesh with the lusts and concupiscences thereof. If we will be under grace, sin must not bear rule in us. We may not come to the Lord, and draw night unto him with our lips, and leave our hearts elsewhere, lest the Lord's wrath wax hot, and he take from us the good yet remaining. In no case can the kingdom of Christ approach unto them that repent not. Therefore, my dearly beloved, let us repent and be heartily sorry that we have so carnally, so hypocritically, so covetously, so vain-gloriously professed the gospel. For all these I confess of myself, to the glory of God, that he may cover my offences in the day of judgement. Let the anger and plagues of God most justly fallen upon us, be applied to every one of our deserts, that from the bottom of our hearts every one of us may say, It is I, Lord, that have sinned against thee; it is my hypocrisy, my vain-glory, my covetousness, uncleanness, carnality, security, idleness, unthankfulness, self-love, and such like, which have deserved the taking away of our good king (King Edward VI, editor), of thy word, and true religion, of thy good ministers by exile, imprisonment, and death. It is my wickedness that causes success, and increase of authority, and peace to thy enemies. Oh, be merciful, be merciful unto us. Turn to us again, O Lord of hosts, and turn us unto thee. Correct us, but not in thy fury, lest we be consumed in thine anger. Chastise us not in thy wrathful displeasure. Reprove us not, but in the midst of thine anger remember thy mercy. For if thou mark what is done amiss, who shall be able to abide it? But with thee is mercifulness, that thou might be worshipped. Oh then be merciful unto us, that we may truly worship thee. Help us, for the glory of thy name. Be merciful unto our sins, for they are great. Oh, heal us, and help us for thine honour. Let not the wicked people say, Where is their God, etc.
On this sort, my right dearly beloved, let us heartily bewail our sins, repent us of our former evil live, heartily and earnestly purpose to amend our lives in all things, continually watching in prayer; diligently and reverently attend, hear, and read the holy Scriptures, and labour after our vocation to amend our brethren. Let us reprove the works of darkness. Let us flee from all idolatry. Let us abhor the antichristian and Romish rotten service, detest the popish mass, renounce their Romish god, prepare ourselves to the cross, be obedient to all that are in authority, in all things that are not against God, and his word; answering with the apostles, It is more meet to obey God than men. Howbeit, never for any thing resist, or rise against the magistrates. Avenge not yourselves, but commit your cause to the Lord, to whom vengeance belongs, and he in his time will reward is. If you feel in yourselves a hope, and trust in God that he never will tempt you above that which he will make you able to bear, be assured the Lord will be true to you. And you shall be able to bear all brunts. But if you want this hope, flee and get you hence, rather than, by your tarrying, God's name should be dishonoured.
In sum, cast your care upon the Lord, knowing for most certain, that he is careful for you. With him are all the hairs of your head numbered, so that not one of them shall perish without his good pleasure and will. Much more, then, nothing shall happen to your bodies, which shall not be profitable, however for a time it seems otherwise to your senses. Hang on the providence of God, not only when you have means to help you, but also when you have no means, yea, when all means are against you. Give him this honour, which, of all other things, he most chiefly requires at your hands; namely, believe that you are his children through Christ, that he is your Father and God through him, that he loves you, pardons you all your offences. He is with you in trouble, and will be with you for ever. When you fall, he will put his hand under. You shall not lie still. Before you call upon him he hears you. He will finally bring you out of evil, and deliver you to his eternal joy. Doubt not, my beloved, herein, doubt not, I say. God your Father will do this for you, not for respect of yourselves, but for respect of Christ your captain, your pastor, your keeper; out of whose hands none shall be able to catch you. In him be quiet, and often consider your dignity; namely, how that you are God's children, the saints of God, citizens of heaven, temples of the Holy Ghost, the thrones of God, members of Christ, and lords over all.
Therefore be ashamed to think, speak, or do anything that should be unseemly for God's children, God's saints, Christ's members, etc. Marvel not though the devil and the world hate you, though you are persecuted here, for the servant is not above his master. Covet not earthly riches. Fear not the power of man. Love not this world, nor the things that are in this world. But long for the coming of the Lord Jesus, at which time your bodies shall be made like unto his glorious body. When he appears you shall be like unto him. When your life shall thus be revealed, then shall you appear with him in glory.
In the mean season live in
hope thereof. Let the life you lead be in the faith of the Son of God. For the
just does live by faith, which faith flees from evil, and follows the word of
God as a lantern to her feet and a light to her steps. Her eyes are above,
where Christ is. She beholds not the things present, but rather things to come.
She glories in affliction. She knows that the affliction of this life are not
to be compared to the glory that God will reveal to us and in us. Of this glory
God grants us here a lively taste. Then shall we run after the scent it sends
forth. It will make us valiant men to take to us the kingdom of God, whither
the Lord of mercy bring us in his good time, through Christ our Lord, to whom,
with the Father and the Holy Ghost, three persons and one God, be all honour
and glory, world without end. Amen.
My dearly beloved, I would
gladly have given here my body to be burned, for the confirmation of the true
doctrine I have taught here unto you; but that my country must have it.
Therefore I pray you, take in good part this signification of my goodwill towards
every of you. Impute the want herein to time and trouble. Pardon me my
offensive and negligent behaviour when I was among you. With me repent and
labour to amend. Continue in the truth which I have truly taught unto you by
preaching in all places where I have come. God's name therefore be praised.
Confess Christ when you are called, whatsoever comes thereof. And the God of
peace be with us all. Amen. This 11th of February, anno 1555.
Your brother in bonds for the
Lord's sake,
John Bradford.

Comments
Post a Comment